Monday, June 10, 2013

Weeks 21 and 22


    Alright folks, so we are going to back track a little bit.  The last few weeks have been full of ups and downs for us.  For more on that, see my previous blog posts.  The biggest pregnancy change has been feeling our son move a whole lot more!  It was challenging for me to not worry in week 21 and early in week 22 because I barely ever felt him move.  I would go days without feeling him.  Then, all of a sudden, he just decided to start moving!  I feel him often now and I love it!  Honestly, it's a little weird.  But it's also really amazing and definitely so reassuring!  I think the most memorable thing that happened was earlier this week David finally felt him for the first (and still only) time! I kept trying and trying and finally, the other night, our son gave a big kick and David felt him.  The look on his face was priceless. It was such a mix of excitement and amazement mixed with a little bit of "that was really crazy."
    This week, for some reason, I have been really thinking about our future.  This is something that is often on my mind with a new baby on the way, but it has been especially on my mind because we have so many friends that are nearing the end of their time here in Norfolk.  I have found myself so tempted to begin to worry.  What will our future hold?  When will we move?  Will we make friends?  Will we like where we live?  Will we be far from family?  The list goes on.  We have been incredibly blessed here in Norfolk.  I have made amazing friendships with women that are incredible friends.  We completely love our little apartment, the area where we live, and my job.  I just can't imagine my life without all these amazing girls in it!  I'm beginning to get so sad at how soon they are all leaving!  However, in the midst of all that, my wonderful mother reminds me of all the verses in the Old Testament especially, where God reminds His people to remember His faithfulness.  In other words, to recount to themselves the times and the ways that God has provided and shown Himself faithful.  This is what I have been trying to do on nights like this weekend when I'm especially over being alone on the weekends, annoyed at the Navy, and bemoaning everyone moving away.  Insert necessary choice to remember God, here.  This is where the remembering comes into play.  I have two choices.  I can either continue down the spiral until I've eaten the entire pie in the refrigerator and let my pregnancy hormones wreck havoc on me, or I can choose to take control of my thoughts.  I will admit, this weekend, there was a little bit of the former, but I'm sitting here now, attempting the latter.  God is faithful and wise.  He knew that reflection is a huge part of stopping ourselves before we fall down the emotional spiral.  I begin to recount God's faithfulness in my life....
    We have amazing friends here.  They are friendships that are unlike any others in my life.  Fused together by a common bond of life in the military, these women have been my lifeline from almost the moment we moved here!  God knew what He was doing when He led us to an apartment which unbeknownst to us was one block down from Valerie Wegener who I have known since growing up in Charlotte, and who introduced me to my core group of friends.
    We live in a wonderful place.  My mom and I traveled to Norfolk the summer before David and I got married, to apartment hunt while he was on deployment.  We had no idea what we were doing or where to look.  The wife of a guy from David's boat whom I had never met sweetly gave us a ton of helpful information.  However, it was still a very difficult process not knowing the area!  David's cousin's best friend (how's that for a connection!?) and her real estate agent mother, sacrificed their entire day, changed all of their plans, to find us an apartment.  They convinced us to live here in Ghent, and we could not be happier.  It has been the perfect location and has given us a totally different life experience of what it's like to live in a city.
    David has not been deployed again.  While life in the shipyard is definitely frustrating and definitely not our preference for this tour, at the same time, he comes home several nights a week, and I know where he is every day.
     We have made great friends on David's boat.  The Ward Room on David's boat has been great.  We have loved getting to know them and have made some incredible friendships.  Also, for the most part, his superior officers have been good guys, especially his captain.  It's hard to imagine his schedule much worse, but if we would have had different guys running the show, things could have been much, much worse.
     We are having a baby!   We are thrilled to be opening this new chapter of our lives and often marvel at the miracle of having a son!  We prayed for this pregnancy and to see God answer our prayers has been awesome.  We can't wait to see what it's like to be parents and to experience love in a whole new dimension through having a child.
   Honestly, the list could go on and on as I reflect on how God has blessed us even in just our time together.  He has changed deployment schedules and training locations, provided friendships and housing, given us unexpected days off together, provided jobs for me, and placed us near family.  The words from an old hymn speak of resting on the Lord and in His faithfulness.


Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.
“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain
Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Here are weeks 21 and 22! 



1 comment:

  1. Anna, you look so good! I remember having a lot of worry and fears during my pregnancy with Jancsi. God is so great and I know He will give you peace regarding your family's future.

    ReplyDelete